Digging for Gold

Well, nothing is forever.

About four years ago I made the decision to discontinue the Byker Blog. It had a good run from 2007-2013 but it was time to shelve it.

There were a few reasons for that decision.

The most prominent was I didn’t feel I was doing justice to the medium. Too much time was passing in between posts and my practice has always been to do something and do it regularly. Once in a while isn’t enough and when you ‘feel like it’ isn’t enough either.

So why jump back in to the format?

In short, I felt like something was missing—stories were going untold. I also knew I couldn’t provide all the content for this blog site, so, I’m not going to.  I’ll provide some content, but you’ll read/hear different voices in the weeks and months to come, and hopefully years. Different coaches and athletes will have the opportunity to fill this space.

I’m sure I’ll uncover some things that aren’t worth much and some things will be written that just don’t resonate, but, I’m hoping we’ll uncover some gold along the way.

Where’s this going to lead?

I don’t know. I’m not smart enough to figure it all out, but we’re going to grab a shovel and start digging.

That’s a phrase someone described to me as their method of working…sometimes you just have to grab the shovel and start digging.

I don’t know what I’ll uncover.  I’m sure I’ll uncover some things that aren’t worth much and some things will be written that just don’t resonate, but, I’m hoping we’ll uncover some gold along the way.

So, welcome to Behind the Shield. Check back weekly. I hope you learn a few things along the way.