Not The Full Truth

may_cropTwo weeks ago she sat across the desk from me.

“Are you willing to write an essay about why you came to a school in Iowa and what the last four years have been like,” I asked.

No thought given, she simply replied, “I’d like that.”

I’ve watched her play softball for four years.  Her ready smile and pleasant demeanor are what I noticed right away and four softball seasons later that hasn’t changed.

Yes, she’s piled up hits, steadily working her way into the top-15 all-time at Dordt but I always got the sense there was a lot more than what the surface showed.

Shoot, she got married over the Christmas break and many made the trip to celebrate with her.  People must like you and appreciate you to do that.

As Corinne May’s career comes to a close I was reminded again of the joy she simply has in playing the game and being with her team on Saturday when the photo adjoining this essay was snapped.

Hope you enjoy.

mbyk

“What made you go to school in Iowa?”

This is a question, often posed to me in a slightly judgmental tone, that I have had to answer hundreds of times since I chose to go to college at Dordt. It is a question I have often had a hard time verbalizing the answer.

Many times, when I don’t want to elaborate I simply say, “softball.”

However this is not the full truth.

The first time I stepped on campus, back when I was in high school, God made it obvious to me that Dordt was the college for me. Back in September of 2013, I made the trip from Pleasanton, California to Sioux Center to visit Dordt. Coach Zomer asked me to visit campus and I was very excited.

Sioux Center was very different from anywhere I had ever been.

I was used to traffic, mountains, oceans, and crowds of people around—basically everything Sioux Center is not. But, when I arrived on campus for my visit in the midst of Thursday Night Praise and Worship, I knew this place was special. Throughout my visit this feeling grew, but it wasn’t the place itself that was special, but the people. God is at work on this campus and that was evident to me, a girl who went to public school.

I knew I wanted to go to a Christian college, and Dordt matched my faith and my personality. I had always been advised to choose a school where I would want to go, even if softball did not work out.

Dordt was it.

With that being said, softball was a very important factor for me going to Dordt. I feel very fortunate to be a part of such an amazing program. Over the years, our program has been filled with many amazing girls. I feel especially grateful to be finishing my senior year with the group of girls we have.

Our team has fun, is cohesive, and everyone has each others’ backs. It is very comforting to know that when I fail, there is 18 girls behind me that will pick me up.

Our team has fun, is cohesive, and everyone has each others’ backs. It is very comforting to know that when I fail, there is 18 girls behind me that will pick me up. Our team verse is Matthew 5:16, “ Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven,” and I think our team exemplifies this verse everyday.

As a team, we strive to glorify God in our play. I have played with many extremely kind teammates over the years, but whose focus was not to glorify God. I think that our team’s common goal unites us in a special way that I didn’t have with my non-Christian teammates.

Another important influence on our program is our coaches.

Our team has an amazing coaching staff, that has not only helped me grow as a player, but also as a person. Our coaches are fiercely competitive and expect us to work hard to continually improve our skills and knowledge of the game. However, they live by the perspective that softball isn’t everything. This is a characteristic that isn’t found everywhere.

Our coaches are fiercely competitive and expect us to work hard to continually improve our skills and knowledge of the game. However, they live by the perspective that softball isn’t everything.

I have friends who play softball at other colleges who were told to choose less intensive majors so they could focus more on softball. Not only are academics highly prioritized on our team, so is our spiritual life. As a team, we have Bible studies, before game devotionals, and right now a group of us are going through a leadership book.

All these things have grown my relationship with God and my teammates.  My four years at Dordt have prepared me for life after Dordt. During my time here, I have been able learn about God’s creation and how it works, in a way that has affirmed and grown my faith and in a way that will help me to glorify him with my life. Dordt has also provided me the knowledge base and path to pursue a doctorate of physical therapy next year at High Point University.

I am confident that I have the tools I need to succeed in grad school and as a physical therapist. I have also been lucky enough to jump on the Dordt marriage bandwagon. I was married over this recent Christmas break and have brought my husband, Justin, to Iowa to experience my last semester of school and last season of softball with me.

Dordt has filled me with great memories and great friends on and off the field. I am already dreading the the day that I play my last softball game. But, as this day is quickly approaching, I feel an increased appreciation for the game I love and an increased love for Dordt College and the life-long relationships I have made here.